Our aims and objectives should be also set in the context of our core values. These are honesty, integrity loyalty, commitment, tolerance, equality, hard work, friendship and respect.
“At Aberbargoed Primary School we seek to be learners who are:
Helpful, friendly, kind, well behaved, responsible, smart workers, happy and joyful, not ignorant, sensible, caring, good listeners and polite.”
(Statement drawn up by children and staff in Assembly Monday 7th June 2010)
At Aberbargoed Primary School we seek:-
- To develop positive dispositions to learning. These are:
- Resilience – knowing that learning is sometimes hard, but we are resilient and we stick at it;
- Responsibility – being responsible for our learning environment, our learning and for one another;
- Resourcefulness – recognising that we are resourceful and can make good choices about ourselves and our work;
- Reasoning – We can reason things through carefully and check our thinking as we go;
- Reflectivity and Reflexivity – When we do something we always reflect on what we learned and what we could do differently next time.
- To provide a calm and enjoyable learning environment and a caring and supportive primary school ethos in which learners:
- Feel happy, comfortable, secure and valued, knowing where to turn within the school environment when they need help or wish to discuss their feelings and problems;
- Are motivated to work to the best of, and beyond, their abilities;
- Are able to work independently and collaboratively, effectively and appropriately;
- Demonstrate interdependence and reciprocity – the ability and willingness to learn alone or with other people.
- Develop their bodies, minds, hearts and spirits through nurturing a healthy lifestyle, a love of learning, a sense of respect for, and service to, each other and the school community.
- To provide a consistently high quality standard of teaching with high expectation for learning thus allowing all learners to achieve their true potential regardless of ability, disability, race, gender or culture.
- To give all learners a firm knowledge and understanding of the key skills of thinking, speaking and listening, reading, writing, Numeracy and I.C.T. and to see these “modern basics” promoted across the curriculum in the context of collaboration, creativity, problem solving and challenge.
- To provide a well-resourced learning environment (both inside and outdoors) which is caring, safe, happy and inclusive of everyone. We seek to inspire creativity and provide learners with structured learning opportunities, which are relevant, innovative, creative, expressive, practical and hands-on wherever possible. These learning experiences will reflect the demands of the curriculum but will also be differentiated and resourced appropriately to meet the needs of our learners;
- To forge strong links with parents, carers, families and the wider community as we seek to make our school a focal point of the community of Aberbargoed. In doing so we seek to give learners a sense of their national identity through the use of the Welsh language, culture, heritage and traditions and by developing the Curriculum Cymreig. We also seek to broaden our learners experiences of other cultures and traditions.
- To help learners build and develop their self-esteem and self-discipline through creating a safe, caring, happy environment which encourages and celebrates tolerance, individuality and diversity and a responsible and caring attitude towards their environment and other people locally and in the wider world;
- To encourage learners to be tolerant of those who may hold different opinions and beliefs, who have different abilities or disabilities and who may come from different cultures, race or gender. Furthermore we expect all members of our learning community to treat each other fairly and with respect.